AGUA DE HORCHATA RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4-6 serving(s)
|3/4 cup rice|
|2 teaspoons ground cinnamon or 1 in cinnamon stick|
|1 1/2 teaspoons good vanilla (Mexican is best)|
|1/2-3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk|
|water, as necessary|
- Rinse the rice in a colander. Place in a blender and add enough water to cover by an inch; soak 5 or 10 minutes. Add the vanilla and cinnamon and blend until finely ground. Drain the liquid through colander into a pitcher.
- Return the ground rice to the blender. Add the condensed milk and about 2 cups water and blend again. Drain into the pitcher. Discard any remaining rice.
- Add more water to the pitcher, one cup at a time, until it has the right amount of sweetness for you. Add ice and serve cold.
- Note: you can add 1 cup sugar or so and 1 cup milk, instead of the sweetened condensed milk . I suppose you could use rice or even soy milk, but I haven’t tried it.
Calories 262.2, FatContent 3.6, SaturatedFatContent 2.2, CholesterolContent 13, SodiumContent 49.2, CarbohydrateContent 51.1, FiberContent 1.2, SugarContent 21, ProteinContent 5.5
AUTHENTIC HORCHATA RECIPE
Provided by: Andrés Carnalla
Total time: 135 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
|1.5 cups rice|
|1 can (14oz. sweetened condensed milk)|
|1 cup whole milk|
|5 cups hot water|
|2 cinnamon sticks|
|1 tsp.ground cinnamon (add to taste)|
- In a mixing bowl, add the rice, whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon sticks.
- Pour hot water into the mixture and stir until the sweetened condensed milk dissolves.
- Allow mixture to come to room temperature. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap then refrigerate the mixture for a minimum of 2 hours. Refrigerate up to 12 hours for a more concentrated flavor.
- Uncover the mixture. Remove the cinnamon sticks and discard.
- Strain the mixture to separate the rice. Reserve the liquid.
- Add the rice and 1.5 cups of the strained liquid to your blender. Blend for 3 minutes until the rice is liquefied.
- Strain the blended rice back into the reserved liquid. Blend the horchata mixture again if the mixture is gritty.
- Serve over ice with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Calories 461 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 89 g, ProteinContent 12 g, FatContent 10 g, SodiumContent 131 mg, SugarContent 51 g, ServingSize 1 serving