TAMALES DE ELOTE (SWEET CORN TAMALES) – MARICRUZ AVALOS KITCHEN BLOG
Provided by: Maricruz
Total time: 110 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 80 minutes
|2.2 lb corn kernels (about 5 or 6 corn ears)|
|½ cup butter (softened)|
|½ cup granulated sugar|
|½ cup masa harina (Maseca or any other brand)|
|½ cup cornmeal|
|½ tsp baking soda|
|1 tsp salt|
- Cut off the two ends of each corn ear.
- With a sharp knife, remove the kernels. Cut from the base downward with a gentle sawing motion.
- Working in batches place the corn kernels in a food processor or blender and grind them until you will have a paste.
- Place the corn into a large bowl. If you notice that the mixture is too runny, place it in a colander and let it drain for a couple of minutes.
- Using an electric or manual mixer, beat the butter with the sugar until nicely fluffy.
- Add the butter, masa harina, and cornmeal to the bowl with the fresh corn.
- Mix until everything is well combined.
- Put about three tablespoons of the corn mixture in the middle of a husk.
- Fold the left side of the husk over the right side to form a tube. Last, fold the bottom up to secure the tamal.
- Arrange the tamales in the rack of a steaming pot, making sure they are standing up with the open side upwards.
- Steam for 80-90 minutes or until tamales are done. Make sure to check up the steamer and add more hot water when necessary.
Calories 209 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 32 g, ProteinContent 3 g, FatContent 9 g, SaturatedFatContent 2 g, SodiumContent 484 mg, FiberContent 3 g, SugarContent 11 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 7 g, ServingSize 1 serving