STRAWBERRY ETON MESS RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Samantha Seneviratne
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
|5 ounces vanilla meringue cookies|
|1 1/2 pounds fresh strawberries|
|2 teaspoons lime zest plus 1 tablespoon lime juice|
|2 to 4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar|
|2 cups cold heavy cream|
- Transfer the meringue cookies to a large, resealable plastic bag. Use a rolling pin to lightly crush the cookies. (You should have pieces of varying sizes.)
- Trim the berries, discarding the greens. Halve or quarter 1 pound of the strawberries; add to a medium bowl. Blend or mash the remaining 1/2 pound strawberries until you have a chunky purée. Add the strawberry purée, lime zest, lime juice and 2 to 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar to the chopped strawberries and toss to coat. (The better the strawberries, the less sugar you’ll need.)
- In a large bowl, beat the cream with 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high until whipped cream holds stiff peaks. Fold the crumbled meringue into the whipped cream.
- Starting and ending with the strawberry mixture, layer it with the cream mixture in individual serving dishes (preferably clear cups, bowls or jars), creating as many layers as you like. Serve immediately.
STRAWBERRY ETON MESS RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Claire Saffitz
Yield: 4 servings
|1 lb. strawberries, hulled, sliced into thirds, plus whole berries for serving|
|⅓ cup sugar|
|1½ cups heavy cream|
|2.5 oz. store-bought meringues|
- Toss half of sliced berries with sugar in a medium heatproof bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set over a medium saucepan filled with 1″ of barely simmering water. Let sit until berries are soft and juices have accumulated in bowl, 25–30 minutes. Let cool, then toss in remaining sliced berries.
- Whisk cream in a medium bowl to soft peaks. Layer cream, meringues, then strawberry mixture in four 8-oz. glasses. Chill 20 minutes. Top with whole strawberries to serve.
ETON MESS RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Sophie Godwin – Cookery writer
Categories: Dessert, Treat
Total time: 1 hours 35 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 15 minutes
|2 large egg whites|
|120g caster sugar|
|500g strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped|
|450ml double cream|
|1 tbsp icing sugar|
- Heat oven to 120C/100C fan/gas 1 and line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl using an electric whisk or tabletop mixer until they reach stiff peaks, then add the sugar in 3 lots, re-whisking to stiff peaks every time. Spoon dollops of the mixture onto the baking parchment, cook on the bottom shelf of the oven for 1hr – 1hr15 mins until the meringues are completely hard and come off the paper easily. Leave to cool.
- Blitz 1/3 of the strawberries to make a strawberry sauce. In a large bowl whisk the cream with the icing sugar until it just holds its shape. Roughly crush ¾ of the meringues and tip them in with the chopped strawberries and stir, then swirl through the strawberry sauce. Dollop into bowls then crush the remaining meringues, sprinkling the pieces over the top.
Calories 498 calories, FatContent 41 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 25 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 29 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 28 grams sugar, FiberContent 3 grams fiber, ProteinContent 3 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.1 milligram of sodium
STRAWBERRY MESS RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Good Food team
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
|1 x 400g punnet strawberries|
|meringue nests, broken|
|pink ice cream|
- Roughly mash half of the strawberries and then slice the rest. Divide between 4 small bowls. Top with a couple of broken meringue nests and scoops of pink ice cream.