CHEF JOHN’S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Categories: Pork Chops
Total time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
|4 large bone-in pork chops, about 1 inch thick|
|1 teaspoon poultry seasoning|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|1 tablespoon butter|
|1 large yellow onion, sliced|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1 ½ cups chicken broth|
|¼ cup buttermilk|
|¼ cup water|
- Sprinkle pork chops with poultry seasoning, salt, and black pepper on both sides. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; brown pork chops well on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Discard excess grease from the pan and melt butter in the same skillet. Reduce heat to medium and stir onion in the hot skillet with a pinch of salt until onion is very browned and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the skillet and stir, dissolving browned bits of food in the bottom of the skillet. Pour juices that have accumulated on the plate containing pork chops into the sauce. Mix in buttermilk until smooth. Add water. Bring sauce to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook until onions begin to break down and sauce is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place pork chops into sauce, spooning sauce over meat to coat. Turn heat to low and simmer until chops are tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Adjust levels of salt and pepper and serve chops with gravy on top.
Calories 369.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 7.7 g, CholesterolContent 80.3 mg, FatContent 24.8 g, FiberContent 0.8 g, ProteinContent 27.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 8.8 g, SodiumContent 78.6 mg, SugarContent 2.4 g
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS RECIPE – EASY SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
Provided by: DELISH.COM
Categories: dinner party,dinner
Total time: 1 hours
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0S
|4 thick, bone-in pork chops|
|Freshly ground pepper|
|1 c. all-purpose flour|
|2 tsp. garlic powder|
|1/4 tsp. chili powder|
|1/4 c. plus 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided|
|2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced|
|2 tbsp. butter|
|1 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth|
|1/4 c. heavy cream|
|Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish|
- Season pork chops all over with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish, mix together flour with garlic powder and chili powder. Coat pork chops in flour, shaking off excess. Reserve 2 tablespoons seasoned flour.
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, heat 1/4 cup oil until shimmering. In batches, cook pork chops until golden, 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate. Wipe out skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium low, pour in remaining oil, and add onions. Season with more salt and pepper and cook until very soft and slightly caramelized, 15-20 minutes. Add butter and let melt, then sprinkle in reserved flour. Cook until flour is no longer raw, about a minute. Stir in chicken broth and heavy cream and bring to a simmer, until sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Return pork chops to skillet and cook until pork is cooked through, about 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Calories 661 calories
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS IN POTLIKKER GRAVY RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Carla Hall
Yield: 4 servings
|1½ cups (or more) Country Ham Potlikker|
|2 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar|
|2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce|
|1 tsp. Dijon mustard|
|1 tsp. ground allspice|
|1 tsp. mild-flavored (light) molasses|
|⅓ cup all-purpose flour|
|4 1″–1½”-thick bone-in pork chops|
|Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper|
|⅓ cup vegetable oil|
|2 medium onions, thinly sliced|
|6–8 garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|1 Tbsp. finely chopped marjoram|
|1 Tbsp. finely chopped rosemary|
|1½ tsp. finely chopped thyme, plus leaves for serving|
- Whisk together potlikker, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, allspice, molasses, and 1 cup water in a medium bowl; set potlikker mixture aside.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Pat pork chops dry; season with salt and pepper. Dredge chops in flour, shaking off excess, and transfer to a platter. Set remaining flour in bowl aside.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high. Working in 2 batches, cook pork chops until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring, until onions are softened, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle reserved flour evenly over; cook, stirring often and scraping up any browned bits, until onions are beginning to brown, 6–8 minutes.
- Add reserved potlikker mixture; whisk until incorporated and lump-free. Bring to a boil, then add marjoram, rosemary, and 1½ tsp. thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low; return pork chops and any accumulated juices to pot. Cover and simmer until pork chops are tender, 70–80 minutes. If gravy looks too thick, thin with more potlikker or water. Taste gravy and season with more salt as needed.
- Transfer pork chops to a platter; top with thyme leaves.