EASY SALSA ROJA
Provided by: Douglas Cullen
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
|5 plum (Roma tomatoes)|
|1 white onion|
|12 stalks of cilantro|
|2 serrano chiles|
|2 cloves garlic|
|1 tsp. salt + salt to taste|
|2 tbsp. cooking oil|
|2 cups water|
- Cut the onion in quarters.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Cut the stems off the chiles, slice in half, and remove seeds.
- Peel the garlic.
- Add all of the ingredients except the cilantro and salt to a large pot.
- Add just enough water to almost cover the ingredients (about 4 cups).
- Bring the water to a boil and then reduce to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend all of the ingredients including the cilantro with the cooking water (blend in 2 batches).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in the same pot over medium heat.
- Pour the blended salsa into the hot oil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust the salt to taste.
Calories 24 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 5 g, ProteinContent 1 g, FatContent 2 g, SodiumContent 247 mg, SugarContent 3 g, ServingSize 1 serving