RUSSIAN BLACK BREAD | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Mary
Categories: Rye Bread
Total time: 3 hours 15 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours 0 minutes
Yield: 1 1 1/2 pound loaf
|1 ½ cups water|
|2 tablespoons cider vinegar|
|2 ½ cups bread flour|
|1 cup rye flour|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|2 tablespoons margarine|
|2 tablespoons dark corn syrup|
|1 tablespoon brown sugar|
|3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 teaspoon instant coffee granules|
|1 tablespoon caraway seed|
|¼ teaspoon fennel seed|
|2 teaspoons active dry yeast|
- Place ingredients into the bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer.
- Use the whole wheat, regular crust setting.
- After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on a cake rack, and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing.
Calories 158.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 30 g, FatContent 2.6 g, FiberContent 2.7 g, ProteinContent 4.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 0.5 g, SodiumContent 222.4 mg, SugarContent 2.2 g
RUSSIAN BLACK BREAD RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Recently while going through a box of old cookbooks (stored in my attic), I came across the original copy of this recipe. It is from a 1945 newspaper advertisement for the National Biscuit Company’s (aka "Nabisco" ) 100% Bran Cereal. (BTW, Instant coffee has been commercially marketed in the USA since 1910.)
Total time: 3 hours 40 minutes
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 2 Loaves
|4 cups rye flour|
|3 cups all-purpose flour|
|1 teaspoon sugar|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|2 cups 100% all-bran cereal|
|2 tablespoons caraway seeds, crushed|
|2 teaspoons instant coffee powder|
|2 teaspoons onion powder|
|1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed|
|2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast|
|2 1/2 cups water|
|1/4 cup vinegar|
|1/4 cup dark molasses|
|1 ounce unsweetened chocolate|
|1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine|
|1 teaspoon cornstarch|
|1/2 cup cold water|
- Combine flours. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix 2 1/3 cups flour mixture, sugar, salt, cereal, caraway seed, coffee powder, onion powder, fennel seed and undissolved yeast.
- In a sauce pan combine 2 1/2 cups water, vinegar, molasses, chocolate and butter.
- Heat liquid mixture over low heat until liquids are very warm (120°-130°F), butter and chocolate do not have to be melted.
- Gradually add heated liquid mixture to dry ingredients and beat (with electric mixer) for 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/2 cup flour mixture. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough additional flour mixture to make a soft dough. Turn dough on to a lightly floured board. Cover dough and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10-15 minutes), dough may be sticky. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning dough to grease the top. Cover bowl and place in a warm, draft free place to rise until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured board. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball, about 5 inches in diameter. Place each ball into the center of a greased 8-inch round cake pan. Cover; let rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour). Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes, or until done.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and cold water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture stats to boil; continue cooking mixture for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- As soon as bread is baked, brush cornstarch mixture over top of loaves. Return bread to oven and bake 2-3 minutes longer, or until glaze is set. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire racks.
- **I have made this recipe both"as is" and also omitting the fennel seeds and onion powder. Omitting the fennel seed and onion powder changes the flavor a bit, but it is still a very good bread.
Calories 2028.5, FatContent 40.1, SaturatedFatContent 20.3, CholesterolContent 61, SodiumContent 2734.8, CarbohydrateContent 390.9, FiberContent 54.7, SugarContent 38.3, ProteinContent 56.4