TRADITIONAL HAITIAN CAKE WITH ORANGE (SIMPLE GATEAU ORANGE …
Provided by: Chef Mireille
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
|2 cups all purpose flour|
|2 teaspoons baking powder|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg|
|½ lb. butter (softened)|
|1 ½ cups sugar|
|Zest of 1 orange|
|2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|2 tablespoons rum|
|1 cup orange juice|
|½ cup guava jelly|
|2 tablespoons water|
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9” springform pan with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until very light and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- After all the eggs have been added, beat for about 5 minutes.
- Add orange zest, vanilla, rum and orange juice. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add flour in two batches, beating well after each addition.
- The batter should have a whipped cream like consistency.
- Transfer batter to prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a tester inserted comes our clean.
- To make the glaze, melt the jam in the saucepan and add water a little at a time, until you achieve desired consistency. If you prefer a thinner glaze, you can add more water.
- Leave the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan and brush the glaze on top of the cake.
- To prevent the top of the cake crumbling (like mine did), you can just pour the glaze over the cake.
Calories 286 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 40 g, ProteinContent 3 g, FatContent 12 g, SaturatedFatContent 8 g, CholesterolContent 61 mg, SodiumContent 190 mg, FiberContent 1 g, SugarContent 25 g, ServingSize 1 serving