AUTHENTIC PHO RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Allrecipes
Categories: Vietnamese Soups and Stews
Total time: 8 hours 25 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 7 hours 5 minutes
|4 pounds beef soup bones (shank and knee)|
|1 medium onion, unpeeled and cut in half|
|5 slices fresh ginger|
|1 tablespoon salt|
|2 pods star anise|
|2 ½ tablespoons fish sauce|
|4 quarts water|
|1 (8 ounce) package dried rice noodles|
|1 ½ pounds beef top sirloin, thinly sliced|
|½ cup chopped cilantro|
|1 tablespoon chopped green onion|
|1 ½ cups bean sprouts|
|1 bunch Thai basil|
|1 medium lime, cut into 4 wedges|
|¼ cup hoisin sauce|
|¼ cup chile-garlic sauce (such as Sriracha®)|
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place beef bones on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven until browned, about 1 hour.
- Place onion halves on a second baking sheet and roast on another rack until blackened and soft, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer beef bones and onion halves to a large stockpot. Add ginger, salt, star anise, fish sauce, and 4 quarts water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 6 to 10 hours. Strain the broth into a saucepan and set aside.
- Place rice noodles in a large bowl filled with room temperature water. Let soak for 1 hour. Drain.
- When noodles have soaked for 1 hour, heat up the reserved broth by bringing it to a simmer.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles in the boiling water for 1 minute. Drain.
- Divide noodles among 4 serving bowls; top with sirloin, cilantro, and green onion. Ladle hot broth over the top. Stir and let sit until beef is partially cooked and no longer pink, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve with bean sprouts, Thai basil, lime wedges, hoisin sauce, and chile-garlic sauce on the side.
Calories 508.6 calories, CarbohydrateContent 65.6 g, CholesterolContent 74 mg, FatContent 11 g, FiberContent 4.4 g, ProteinContent 34.9 g, SaturatedFatContent 4 g, SodiumContent 3519.3 mg, SugarContent 8.6 g