POTAGE PARMENTIER (POTATO & LEEK SOUP) – JULIA CHILD RECIPE …
Total time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
|1 lb potato, peeled and diced (I leave skins on)|
|3 cups leeks, thinly sliced (white and tender green parts only)|
|2 quarts water|
|1 tablespoon salt|
|4 -6 tablespoons whipping cream or 2 -3 tablespoons softened butter|
|2 -3 tablespoons minced parsley or 2 -3 tablespoons chives|
- Simmer vegetables, water and salt together, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or puree in blender. Correct seasoning.
- Off heat and just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls. Pour into a tureen or soup cups and decorate with the herbs.
- Good hot, cold or room temperature.
- The following may be simmered with the potatoes and leeks at the start:.
- Sliced or diced carrots or turnips.
- Peeled, seeded or chopped tomatoes or strained, canned tomatoes.
- Half-cooked dried beans, peas, or lentils, including their cooking liquid.
- The following may be simmered for 10-15 minutes with the soup after it has been pureed:.
- Fresh or frozen diced cauliflower, cucumbers, broccoli, Lima beans, peas, string beans, okra or zucchini.
- Shredded lettuce, spinach, sorrel, or cabbage.
- Diced, cooked leftovers of any of the preceding vegetables.
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, juiced and diced.
Calories 180.6, FatContent 5.9, SaturatedFatContent 3.5, CholesterolContent 20.6, SodiumContent 1785.2, CarbohydrateContent 29.8, FiberContent 3.8, SugarContent 3.5, ProteinContent 3.7