HOMEMADE PITA BREAD RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: David Tanis
Total time: 2 hours
Yield: 8 six-inch diameter breads
|2 teaspoons active dry yeast|
|1/2 teaspoon sugar|
|35 grams whole-wheat flour (1/4 cup), preferably freshly milled|
|310 grams unbleached all-purposed flour (2 1/2 cups)|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
- Make sponge: Put 1 cup lukewarm water in a large mixing bowl. Add yeast and sugar. Stir to dissolve. Add the whole-wheat flour and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and whisk together. Put bowl in a warm (not hot) place, uncovered, until mixture is frothy and bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- Add salt, olive oil and nearly all remaining all-purpose flour (reserve 1/2 cup). With a wooden spoon or a pair of chopsticks, stir until mixture forms a shaggy mass. Dust with a little reserved flour, then knead in bowl for 1 minute, incorporating any stray bits of dry dough.
- Turn dough onto work surface. Knead lightly for 2 minutes, until smooth. Cover and let rest 10 minutes, then knead again for 2 minutes. Try not to add too much reserved flour; the dough should be soft and a bit moist. (At this point, dough may refrigerated in a large zippered plastic bag for several hours or overnight. Bring dough back to room temperature, knead into a ball and proceed with recipe.)
- Clean the mixing bowl and put dough back in it. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap, then cover with a towel. Put bowl in a warm (not hot) place. Leave until dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees. On bottom shelf of oven, place a heavy-duty baking sheet, large cast-iron pan or ceramic baking tile. Punch down dough and divide into 8 pieces of equal size. Form each piece into a little ball. Place dough balls on work surface, cover with a damp towel and leave for 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 ball (keeping others covered) and press into a flat diskc with rolling pin. Roll to a 6-inch circle, then to an 8-inch diameter, about 1/8 inch thick, dusting with flour if necessary. (The dough will shrink a bit while baking.)
- Carefully lift the dough circle and place quickly on hot baking sheet. After 2 minutes the dough should be nicely puffed. Turn over with tongs or spatula and bake 1 minute more. The pita should be pale, with only a few brown speckles. Transfer warm pita to a napkin-lined basket and cover so bread stays soft. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 189, UnsaturatedFatContent 3 grams, CarbohydrateContent 33 grams, FatContent 4 grams, FiberContent 2 grams, ProteinContent 5 grams, SaturatedFatContent 1 gram, SodiumContent 110 milligrams, SugarContent 0 grams
BEST PITA BREAD RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE EASY HOMEMADE PITA BREAD
Provided by: DELISH.COM
Categories: dairy-free,low sugar,nut-free,vegan,vegetarian,dinner,lunch,side dish
Total time: 2 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0S
|1 c. warm water|
|2 tsp. active dry yeast|
|1 tsp. granulated sugar|
|3 c. all-purpose flour, divided|
|1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt|
- In a large bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and sugar and stir until dissolved. Stir in ½ cup flour and let sit for 15 minutes, until mixture foams.
- Add oil, salt, and 2 cups flour (reserving ½ cup) and stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy mass forms. Dust a clean surface with some of reserved flour and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes, adding more of the reserved flour if the dough is too sticky. Dough should be soft and moist. (You can cover the dough and let rest 10 minutes if you need a rest from kneading.)
- Place dough in a clean large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Place a pizza stone or large cast-iron skillet in your oven and preheat to 500°. Lightly dust a clean surface with flour. Punch down dough and turn it out onto surface. Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Working one at a time, roll each round into a ¼”-thick circle about 8” wide, sprinkling dough with extra flour if it starts to stick.
- Working as quickly as possible, open your oven and place as many pitas that will fit on your skillet or stone without touching. Let bake until an air pocket balloons and the pita begins to turn golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining rounds.
- Cover baked pitas with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
HOMEMADE PITA BREAD RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Categories: Flat Bread
Total time: 3 hours 15 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 pita breads
|1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast|
|1 cup warm water (90 to 100 degrees F/32 to 38 degrees C)|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|1 ½ tablespoons olive oil|
|1 ¾ teaspoons salt|
|1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed|
|1 teaspoon olive oil, divided|
- Place yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer and add 1 cup warm water and 1 cup flour. Whisk together, then let sit until mixture bubbles and foams, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, followed by 1 3/4 cups flour. Mix at low speed, using a dough hook attachment, until dough is soft, supple, and slightly sticky. If dough sticks to the sides of the bowl, add up to 1/4 cup more flour, a little at a time.
- Knead dough with machine on low speed until slightly springy and still soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and form into a ball.
- Wipe inside of bowl with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil. Turn dough around in bowl to cover with a thin film of oil; cover bowl with foil and let sit until dough has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Remove dough from bowl and place onto a floured work surface. Lightly pat into a flat shape about 1-inch thick. Use a knife to cut dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Form each piece into a small round ball with a smooth top, pulling dough from the sides and tucking the ends underneath the bottom.
- Cover dough balls with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the dough balls to a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle the tops with flour. One at a time, gently pat the dough with your fingers, forming a flat, round bread about 1/4-inch thick. Let the shaped dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Brush a cast iron skillet with remaining 3/4 teaspoon olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Lay dough into the hot skillet; cook until puffy and the bottom has brown spots and blisters, about 3 minutes. Flip, cook 2 more minutes, and flip back onto original side to cook for about 30 more seconds. Pita bread will begin to puff up and fill with hot air. Stack cooked breads on a plate; when cool enough to handle, slice breads in half and open the pocket inside for stuffing.
Calories 186.6 calories, CarbohydrateContent 33.1 g, FatContent 3.6 g, FiberContent 1.3 g, ProteinContent 4.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 0.5 g, SodiumContent 510.9 mg, SugarContent 0.1 g