BAKED BARLEY RISOTTO WITH MUSHROOMS AND CARROTS RECIPE – NYT …
Provided by: Kay Chun
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|1/2 small white or yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)|
|5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced|
|1 pound mixed mushrooms, such as white button, cremini and shiitakes, halved if small, quartered if large (about 7 cups total)|
|Kosher salt and black pepper|
|10 ounces pearl barley (about 1 1/2 cups)|
|1 medium carrot, very thinly sliced into rounds (about 1 cup)|
|2 ounces grated Parmesan (about 1/2 cup), plus more for serving|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|1/4 cup chopped chives|
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in barley, carrot and 4 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, transfer to the oven and bake until barley is tender and chewy and almost all of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan and the butter until slightly thickened and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide among shallow bowls. Sprinkle with chives and more Parmesan, to taste.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 505, UnsaturatedFatContent 12 grams, CarbohydrateContent 65 grams, FatContent 22 grams, FiberContent 16 grams, ProteinContent 17 grams, SaturatedFatContent 8 grams, SodiumContent 632 milligrams, SugarContent 6 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
HERBY BARLEY SALAD WITH BUTTER-BASTED MUSHROOMS RECIPE | BON …
Provided by: Chris Morocco
Yield: 8 Servings
|1 cup hulled, hull-less, or pearl barley|
|2 shallots, thinly sliced into rings|
|⅓ cup vegetable oil|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|8 ounces mushrooms (such as maitake, chanterelle, and/or oyster), torn or cut into large pieces|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|2 sprigs thyme|
|1 garlic clove, crushed|
|3 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|1 cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|1 cup chopped fresh parsley|
|2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|1½ ounces Parmesan, shaved, plus more for serving|
- Cook barley in a medium pot of boiling salted water until tender, 50–60 minutes for hulled or hull-less, 20–30 minutes for pearl. Drain; spread out on a baking sheet and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook shallots in vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, swirling pan occasionally to keep shallots from burning, until golden brown, 5–7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper towels to drain; season with salt. Let cool. Set shallot cooking oil aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high until just beginning to smoke. Arrange mushrooms in skillet in a single layer and cook, undisturbed, until undersides are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper, toss, and continue to cook, tossing often and reducing heat as needed to avoid scorching, until golden brown all over, about 5 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to medium and add thyme sprigs, garlic, and butter to skillet. Tip skillet toward you so butter pools at edge and use a spoon to baste mushrooms with foaming butter; cook until butter smells nutty. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a small bowl, leaving thyme and garlic behind.
- Toss cooled barley, cilantro, parsley, lemon juice, 1½ oz. Parmesan, and 2 Tbsp. reserved shallot oil in a large bowl to combine; season with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms; toss again to combine.
- Just before serving, top with fried shallots and more shaved Parmesan.
- Do Ahead: Barley can be cooked 1 day ahead. Let cool; store airtight and chill. Dish can be made 3 hours ahead; store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
MUSHROOM AND SPINACH PEARL BARLEY RISOTTO RECIPE | DELICIOUS …
Provided by: delicious. magazine
Total time: 0 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
|1 tbsp olive oil|
|2 shallots, finely chopped|
|1 garlic clove, crushed|
|1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped|
|300g mushrooms, thickly sliced|
|300g pearl barley|
|200ml dry white wine|
|1 litre hot vegetable stock (we like https://www.knorr.com/uk/flavour_discovery/discover-one-pot-recipes.htmlKnorr)|
|40g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, finely grated, plus extra to serve|
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan, then fry the shallots for 6-7 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, thyme and mushrooms, then fry for 5 minutes more. Add the pearl barley and stir for a minute. Pour in the wine and bubble for 5 minutes or until mostly reduced.
- Add the hot stock and bubble gently for 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the stock has been absorbed. Add the spinach and parmesan, stirring until the spinach has wilted (about 5 minutes). Season, then serve with extra parmesan grated over the top.
Calories 419kcals, FatContent 7.9g (2.7g saturated), ProteinContent 14.6g, CarbohydrateContent 62.1g (2.2g sugars), FiberContent 2.7g