MATAR PANEER RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Miriam Nice
Categories: Dinner, Main course, Supper
Total time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
|1 tbsp sunflower oil|
|225g paneer, cut into 3cm cubes|
|2.5cm piece ginger, grated|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp turmeric|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|1 green chilli, finely sliced|
|4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or ½ 400g can chopped tomatoes)|
|150g frozen peas|
|1 tsp garam masala|
|small pack coriander, roughly chopped|
|naan bread, roti or rice, to serve|
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat until it’s shimmering hot. Add the paneer, then turn the heat down a little. Fry until it starts to brown at the edges, then turn it over and brown on each side – the paneer will brown faster than you think, so don’t walk away. Remove the paneer from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Put the ginger, cumin, turmeric, ground coriander and chilli in the pan, and fry everything for 1 min. Add the tomatoes, mashing them with the back of a spoon and simmer everything for 5 mins until the sauce smells fragrant. Add a splash of water if it’s too thick. Season well. Add the peas and simmer for a further 2 mins, then stir in the paneer and sprinkle over the garam masala. Divide between two bowls, top with coriander leaves and serve with naan bread, roti or rice.
Calories 544 calories, FatContent 35 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 18 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 18 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 14 grams sugar, FiberContent 8 grams fiber, ProteinContent 35 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.1 milligram of sodium
MATTAR PANEER – INDIAN PEAS WITH PANEER CHEESE RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4-6 serving(s)
|2 cups paneer cheese, cubes|
|5 tablespoons vegetable oil or 5 tablespoons ghee|
|1 cup finely chopped onion|
|1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger|
|1 tablespoon minced garlic|
|2 teaspoons ground coriander|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric|
|1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper|
|1 cup diced tomato, with juice|
|1/2 cup water|
|1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed|
|1/2 cup chopped cilantro|
- Heat 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet and saute the paneer in batches (add more oil if necessary), until lightly browned, and drain on paper toweling.
- In a large pan, heat the 3 tbsp oil or ghee and cook the onion, ginger and garlic until the onion is tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin, salt, turmeric, and cayenne, and cook until the spices become fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the paneer, water, and peas and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Calories 262.5, FatContent 17.9, SaturatedFatContent 2.3, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 697.5, CarbohydrateContent 21.2, FiberContent 6.4, SugarContent 8, ProteinContent 6.5
MATTAR PANEER (PEAS AND PANEER IN SPICED TOMATO GRAVY) RECIPE …
Provided by: Zainab Shah
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
|1/4 cup ghee or neutral oil|
|1/2 pound paneer or extra firm tofu cut into 1-inch cubes and patted very dry|
|1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon ginger paste or freshly grated ginger|
|1/2 teaspoon garlic paste or freshly grated garlic|
|3/4 teaspoon kashmiri or other red chile powder|
|1 teaspoon cumin seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder|
|3 medium plum tomatoes, finely chopped|
|1 teaspoon fine sea salt|
|2 tablespoons cashew butter|
|8 ounces frozen (no need to thaw) or fresh green peas (about 1¾ cups)|
|3 tablespoons heavy cream or cashew cream (optional)|
|1/2 teaspoon garam masala|
|Rice or roti, for serving|
- Heat ghee in a large frying pan or medium wok on high for 30 seconds, or until it is melted. Lower heat to medium and lightly fry paneer or tofu cubes, turning frequently, until they are golden on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- In the same frying pan or wok add onion, ginger and garlic, and cook on medium, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add chile powder, cumin seeds and turmeric, and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds to a minute. Stir in tomatoes and salt. Add 3/4 cup water. Simmer on medium until the mixture thickens slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, and stir in cashew butter. Add peas and paneer. Stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes or until it reaches your desired thickness. Top with heavy cream in a swirl, if you like. Sprinkle with garam masala. Serve with rice or roti.