ORANGE LAYER CAKE
|Peel from 3 navel oranges|
|1 1/4 c. granulated sugar|
|2 stick butter|
|1 tbsp. baking powder|
|1/2 tsp. salt|
|Whites from 5 large eggs (save yolks for another use)|
|2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour|
|1/2 c. orange juice mixed with 1⁄4 cup milk|
|2 c. granulated sugar|
|2 c. water|
|2 navel oranges, preferably thin-skinned|
|6 oz. white chocolate|
|2 stick butter|
|2 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar|
|1 tbsp. grated orange peel|
|1/4 c. orange juice|
|Garnish: fresh mint sprig|
- Heat oven to 325°F. Coat two 8-in. round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line bottoms with wax paper; grease paper.
- Make Cake: Process orange peel and sugar in a food processor until peel is chopped.
- Beat butter, baking powder and salt in a large bowl with mixer on high speed until smooth. Gradually add orange sugar; beat until pale and creamy. Beat in egg whites 1 at a time. Beat, scraping down sides of bowl twice, until mixture is fluffy.
- On low speed add flour in 3 additions alternating with juice mixture in 2 additions, beating until blended after each. Divide batter between prepared pans; smooth tops.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centers of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes before inverting on rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make Candied Orange Slices: Bring sugar and water to a boil in a wide skillet. Add slices, reduce heat and simmer, moving slices so they cook evenly, 35 minutes or until translucent. Cool in the syrup.
- Make Frosting: Beat ingredients in a large bowl with mixer on low speed until blended. Beat on medium-high 1 to 2 minutes until fluffy. If needed, refrigerate frosting briefly until firm enough to spread.
- Place 1 cake layer flat side up on serving plate. Spread top evenly with 1⁄2 cup frosting. Remove all but 7 orange slices from liquid; place on double layer of paper towels to drain. Arrange slices, overlapping, in circles on frosting; spread with 1⁄2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer, flat side up. Spread top and sides of cake with a thin layer frosting to set any crumbs; refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Cut 3 reserved orange slices in half, remaining 4 slices in quarters. Swirl rest of frosting over cake. Arrange half slices on middle; press quarter slices around side. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Calories 599 calories