LAMB SAAG RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Member recipe by bobnel
Categories: Dinner, Main course
Total time: 1 hours 45 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 30 minutes
|3 garlic cloves, peeled|
|thumb-sized piece of ginger (about 25g), peeled and roughly chopped|
|2 green chillies, roughly chopped|
|1 large onion, roughly chopped|
|2 tbsp oil for frying|
|750g lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 3cm chunks|
|2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground|
|2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground|
|1 tsp turmeric|
|2 cardamom pods, squashed|
|4 large tomatoes, quartered|
|500ml lamb stock|
|200g baby spinach, roughly chopped|
|small pack coriander, roughly chopped|
|naan breads or rice, to serve|
- Put the garlic, ginger, chillies and onion into a small food processor and whizz to a purée adding 1 tbsp water if you need to.
- Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a large flameproof casserole or sauté pan. Brown the lamb all over in two batches, then lift onto a plate and put to one side.
- Add the remaining oil and fry the spices in the same pan for 2 mins, adding a splash of water if they start to catch. Then add the onion purée and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the lamb, tomatoes and stock. Stir, cover and cook for 45 mins.
- Stir in the spinach then cook for another 45 mins or until the lamb is tender. If the sauce is looking thin, take the lid off for the last 20 mins of cooking to reduce it.
- Scatter over the coriander. Serve with naan or rice.
Calories 640 calories, FatContent 47 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 19 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 10 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 8 grams sugar, FiberContent 5 grams fiber, ProteinContent 40 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.5 milligram of sodium
THE HAIRY BIKERS’ TRADITIONAL LAMB SAAG | DINNER RECIPES | WOMAN …
Provided by: Woman and Home
Categories: Dinner, Main course
Yield: Serves: 6
|5 tbsp sunflower oil|
|4 large onions, sliced|
|10 cardamom pods|
|1 tbsp cumin seeds|
|2 tsp mustard seeds|
|½ cinnamon stick|
|2 long red chillies, sliced|
|6 large garlic cloves, roughly sliced|
|1 tbsp ground coriander|
|2 tsp ground turmeric|
|500g mature spinach leaves (not baby spinach), washed and drained|
|900g boneless lamb leg, cut into chunks of about 4cm|
|1 bay leaf|
|2 tbsp tomato puree|
|800ml cold water|
|1 tsp flaked sea salt, plus extra for seasoning the lamb|
|freshly ground black pepper|
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the sunflower oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook the onions gently for 20 minutes until softened and golden brown, stirring regularly.
- Place the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar and pound lightly to split the pods. Tip them on to a board and open each pod, scraping the seeds back into the mortar. Add the cumin, mustard seeds and the cinnamon stick. Pound to form a fairly fine, dry powder.
- When the onions are ready, transfer about half of them to a plate and set aside. Return the pan to the heat and stir in chillies and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Add the pounded spices, ground coriander and turmeric. Cook for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Break off any tough stalks from 300g of the spinach, drop the leaves into the pan and cook for 2–3 minutes, turning it with the onions until well wilted. Remove the pan from the heat, scrape everything into a heatproof bowl and leave to cool. Get rid of any tough stalks from the remaining spinach and tear the leaves in half. Cover and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat and add another tablespoon of oil. Season the lamb all over with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fry the lamb over a medium-high heat in 2 or 3 batches until browned on all sides, adding more oil if necessary. As soon as a batch is browned, transfer it to a medium flameproof casserole dish while you fry the rest. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Fan 150°C/Gas 3 ½
- Transfer the spiced onions and spinach to a food processor and blitz to a thick green paste. Stir this into the casserole dish with the lamb and add the bay leaf, tomato puree and water. Season with the teaspoon of flaked sea salt, stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the casserole dish from the heat and cover the surface of the curry with some crumpled baking parchment. Pop a lid on top and cook the curry in the oven for 2.–3 hours or until the meat is very tender and the sauce is thick. Stir halfway through cooking if possible. Take the curry out of the oven and stir in the reserved onions and the rest of the spinach. Cover with the lid alone and return to the oven for a further 15–20 minutes or until the onions are hot and the spinach has wilted. Serve with freshly cooked rice or warm naan.
LAMB SAAG RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 2 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 40 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
|1 long green chili|
|3 garlic cloves, chopped|
|2 cm fresh ginger, grated|
|3 tablespoons oil|
|1 kg boneless lamb, cubed|
|1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds|
|1/2 teaspoon cumin seed|
|1 teaspoon black mustard seeds|
|1 cinnamon stick|
|6 cardamom pods|
|2 onions, chopped|
|2 teaspoons ground turmeric|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon chili powder|
|1 teaspoon ground coriander|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 cups beef stock|
|1 bunch english spinach, de-stalked and finely shredded|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped|
|1/3 cup plain yogurt|
- Remove seeds and white membrane from the chilli and chop finely.
- Set aside with garlic and ginger.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in frying pan and brown the lamb in batches, drain on paper towel.
- In a dry frying pan combine fenugreek, cumin, mustard, cinnamon and cardamon.
- Cook for 1 minute or until seeds start to pop.
- Set aside. Heat remaining oil and cook onion until softened, 3-4 minutes, then add roasted spices.
- Add garlic, ginger, chilie, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, coriander and bay leaves to onion.
- Cook for 1 minute, then add lamb and stock.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to low and cook, covered for 1 1/4 hours.
- Stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and salt, cook for 5 more minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in coriander and yoghurt, discard cinnamon stick and bay leaves and serve.
Calories 846.2, FatContent 66.3, SaturatedFatContent 25.9, CholesterolContent 182.7, SodiumContent 915.5, CarbohydrateContent 14, FiberContent 4, SugarContent 4.4, ProteinContent 48.4