CRISP POTATO CAKE (GALETTE DE POMME DE TERRE) RECIPE – NYT …
Provided by: Harold Mcgee
Total time: 1 hours
Yield: 4 servings
|2 pounds (about 3 medium) potatoes, peeled and sliced very thinly|
|1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed|
|Freshly ground nutmeg|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley|
|1 tablespoon minced garlic|
|Fresh thyme leaves for garnish (optional)|
- Pat potatoes dry if very starchy or moist. In a sauté pan large enough to fit potato slices in just two layers, spread 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with nutmeg and pepper to taste. Starting in center, arrange potato slices in a closely overlapping, attractive spiral. When pan is filled, repeat to make a second layer.
- Place pan over medium heat and cover. Slowly cook potatoes until well browned on underside, about 15 minutes, occasionally shaking pan gently to avoid sticking. Wipe inside of lid as needed to keep it dry.
- Press potatoes down with a flat spatula and remove from heat. Place a larger platter over pan and flip it upside down, transferring potatoes to the platter. Check pan to make sure it is clean and has enough oil to keep potatoes from sticking.
- Slide galette, raw side down, back into pan, and return to medium heat. Cover and cook until well browned, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare a persillade by combining parsley and garlic in a small bowl. To serve, slide galette onto a serving platter, season to taste with salt, and garnish with persillade or thyme.
GÂTEAU DE POMMES GRAND-MÈRE (GRANDMOTHER’S APPLE CA RECIPE …
Total time: 1 hours 15 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Yield: 8-10 serving(s)
|2 tablespoons butter|
|2 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped (Jonagold, or other baking apple are also good)|
|1 1/2 tablespoons calvados (apple brandy)|
|1 1/4 cups sugar|
|2 teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|2/3 cup plain yogurt|
|2 cups all-purpose flour|
|1 teaspoon baking soda|
|1/2 cup vegetable oil|
|3 large eggs|
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease an 8-inch round cake pan (no need to grease if pan is nonstick).
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the apples, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the Calvados, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, and the cinnamon. Set aside until needed.
- Whisk together the yogurt and the remaining sugar in a large bowl, until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Combine the flour and baking soda, then add the oil and eggs, whisking well after each addition. Stir the apple pieces into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly. Set on a sturdy baking sheet and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Note: The cake is best made several hours before serving, or better yet, the night before.
Calories 450.5, FatContent 19.4, SaturatedFatContent 4.7, CholesterolContent 80, SodiumContent 220.2, CarbohydrateContent 64.4, FiberContent 2.5, SugarContent 38.1, ProteinContent 6.5