PETITS FARCIS – PROVENÇE STUFFED BAKED VEGETABLES RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 1 hours 25 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: 8-10 petits farcis, 4-5 serving(s)
|4 -5 round courgettes|
|4 -5 large beefsteak tomatoes|
|4 tablespoons olive oil|
|2 red onions, peeled and finely chopped|
|2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed|
|450 g good quality sausage meat|
|50 g tomato puree|
|4 tablespoons white wine|
|2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped finely|
|50 g parmesan cheese, grated|
|100 g fresh breadcrumbs|
|fresh ground black pepper|
|parsley (to garnish) or basil leaves (to garnish)|
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Grease a roasting tin or a tian (earthenware dish) with some olive oil.
- Cut the tops of the courgettes and tomatoes, keeping the lids.
- Using a pointed spoon, hollow out centres of the courgettes and tomatoes – leaving about 1/2" thickness as the "container".
- Place the courgettes and tomatoes into the oiled tin or tian.
- Chop up the tomato and courgette flesh finely and place into a bowl.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan, wok or skillet; add the onions, garlic, and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the sausage meat, and break it up well – continue to cook for a further 5 minutes or until the sausage meat has browned.
- Add the chopped courgette and tomato flesh and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and stirring occasionally, cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and the chopped parsley – stir well.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the vegetables – and then place the tops back on top of the courgettes and tomatoes.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil over and around the stuffed vegetables and then pour in the white wine.
- Bake for 45 – 60 minutes, until well browned and the vegetables are soft, but still holding their shape.
- Serve tepid or at room temperature, with the cooking liquor drizzled around the petits farcis & some chopped parsley or basil sprinkled over them. All that is needed then, is some crusty bread, good wine, good company and maybe some sun!
Calories 1067.6, FatContent 78.3, SaturatedFatContent 24.1, CholesterolContent 171, SodiumContent 1848.1, CarbohydrateContent 42.3, FiberContent 6.7, SugarContent 13.2, ProteinContent 47