EVENTIDE FISH CHOWDER RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Julia Moskin
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
|1 teaspoon black peppercorns|
|1 pound boneless, skinless cod fillet, about 1-inch thick|
|1 pound sea scallops (or use more cod, some hake or another firm fish)|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|1 medium white or yellow onion, diced into 1/4-inch cubes|
|1 pound all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes|
|1/4 pound bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch strips (optional)|
|2 quarts fish stock or dashi (Japanese fish broth, such as Hondashi bonito soup stock)|
|1 to 2 fresh thyme sprigs, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme|
|1 cup heavy cream|
|Toasted nori sheets or seaweed snacks, crumbled into very small pieces, or dried seaweed flakes (optional)|
|Snipped chives or minced scallion greens, for serving|
- In a small pan over low heat, toast the peppercorns until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Coarsely grind and set aside.
- Trim cod of any pin bones or bits of skin and cut into 1-inch cubes. Lightly salt the cubes all over and set aside on paper towels to drain. Rinse scallops very lightly under cold water. Cut into half-moons and set aside on paper towels to drain. Keep seafood refrigerated until ready to use.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. When the butter is just sizzling, add onion and potatoes and cook, stirring, until the onions start to melt and the potatoes are gold at the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if using bacon, cook the strips in a hot skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Add stock, thyme and toasted peppercorns to pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. The potatoes should not be cooked through.
- Stir in cream and heat through over low heat. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, with the chowder simmering over low heat, stir in seafood and simmer until potatoes are soft and seafood is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bacon.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls. You want each serving to be around 2 parts broth to 1 part chunky goodness. Use your fingers to crush the nori into powdery bits, if using, and sprinkle over the top of each serving. Place about 1 teaspoon chives in the center of each bowl and serve immediately.
BEST EVENTIDE GREEN SALAD WITH NORI VINAIGRETTE RECIPE – HOW TO …
Provided by: 177MILKSTREET.COM
Total time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
|4 ounces red radishes, sliced into thin rounds|
|1 medium carrot, peeled and shaved into long, thin strips|
|1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced|
|1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar, divided|
|1/3 cup white sugar|
|1/4 ounce (7-gram) package roasted seaweed snacks, torn into small pieces (about 1 cup packed)|
|2 tablespoons soy sauce|
|2 tablespoons mirin|
|2 tablespoons grapeseed or other neutral oil|
|10 ounces spring mix or other delicate greens|
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine the radishes, carrot, and onion. In a small saucepan over medium-high, combine 1½ cups vinegar, the sugar and ¾ cup water. Bring to a rapid boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then pour over the vegetables. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 1 week.
- In a spice grinder, process the seaweed until finely chopped, gently shaking the grinder, about 30 seconds; check under the blade for clumps and break up any.
You should have about 2 tablespoons pulverized seaweed. In a large bowl, whisk together the seaweed, soy sauce, mirin, oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar; the dressing will thicken slightly.
- Drain the pickles in a fine mesh strainer. Add half of the drained pickles to the bowl with the dressing along with the salad greens. Toss to combine, then taste and season with salt. Transfer to a platter or bowl and top with the remaining drained pickles.
EVENTIDE OYSTER’S BROWN-BUTTER LOBSTER ROLL RECIPE | YANKEE …
|8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter|
|2 tablespoons nonfat dried milk powder|
|1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice|
|Sea salt or kosher salt, to taste|
|1 pound cooked Maine lobster meat, cut into medium chunks|
|4 New England hot dog buns, steamed|
Provided by: DELISH.COM
Total time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 0S
Cook time: 0S
|3/4 oz. Giffard Pamplemousse Rose|
|1 1/2 oz. mezcal (preferably del Maguey Vida)|
|1/2 oz. Aperol|
|3/4 oz. lime juice|
|2 sprigs rosemary|
- Add Giffard Pamplemousse Rose and leaves of one sprig of rosemary to a mixing glass or shaking tin.
- Gently muddle together.
- Add mezcal, Aperol and lime juice, add ice and shake.
- Strain over ice into a rocks glass.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary.