CRÈME CARAMEL RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Mary Cadogan
Categories: Dessert, Dinner, Supper
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|140g caster sugar|
|3 tbsp cold water|
|3 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks|
|100g caster sugar|
|a few drops vanilla paste or extract|
|2 tbsp Cointreau or Grand Marnier, optional|
- Put the sugar in a small frying pan, preferably non-stick, and add the water. Heat slowly, stirring gently with a metal tablespoon until the sugar has dissolved. The base of the pan will no longer feel gritty when you run the spoon over it. (Step 1)
- Increase the heat under the pan and allow the syrup to bubble. As the water is driven off, the syrup will become thicker and the bubbles on the surface will get bigger. Do not stir the syrup during this time. (Step 2)
- Watch the syrup carefully and when it starts to turn golden at the edges, swirl the pan to ensure even colouring. Do not stir it. When the syrup has turned a rich golden caramel colour, remove from heat. (Step 3)
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Pour the caramel into ramekins. Bring the milk to simmering point.
- Put the eggs and yolks in a bowl with the sugar and whisk lightly together.
- Gradually whisk in the hot milk. Strain into a clean jug and add the vanilla, and liqueur, if using. Pour carefully into the prepared ramekins.
- Pour boiling water from the kettle into a roasting tin to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 15-20 mins until the custards are just set. Leave to cool, then chill for at least 4 hrs, or even overnight. The caramels can be made up to 3 days in advance.
- To turn out each caramel, run the point of a sharp knife around the top edge of each ramekin, place a dessert plate on top and invert. Give the ramekin and plate a sharp shake and carefully remove the ramekin.
Calories 267 calories, FatContent 7 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 2 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 46 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 46 grams sugar, ProteinContent 8 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.21 milligram of sodium
CREAMY COCONUT CAKE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Julia
Categories: Coconut Cake From a Mix
Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
|1 (16 ounce) package white cake mix|
|1 (14 ounce) can cream of coconut|
|1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk|
|1 (16 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed|
|1 (10 ounce) package flaked coconut|
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Bake in a 9×13 inch pan. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine cream of coconut and condensed milk.
- Poke holes in cake with a straw. Pour milk mixture over cake and spread with whipped topping. Sprinkle coconut over cake.
- Serve chilled.
Calories 605.6 calories, CarbohydrateContent 85 g, CholesterolContent 11.1 mg, FatContent 28.2 g, FiberContent 2.7 g, ProteinContent 5.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 21.7 g, SodiumContent 377 mg, SugarContent 72.1 g