HOT SMOKED SALMON – LEARN HOW TO PREPARE YOUR OWN SMOKED …
Provided by: Michelle Minnaar
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
|500ml (2 cups) water|
|125ml (½ cup) sea salt flakes|
|125ml (½ cup) sugar|
|1kg (2.2lbs) side of salmon|
|Apple wood chips|
- Pour the water, salt and sugar in a large shallow tray and stir until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Place the salmon skin-side up into the mixture. If the fish isn’t completely submerged, make some more brine to add.
- Brine the salmon for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the Char-Broil Big Easy Smoker on the High setting and fill the smoking box with wood chips.
- Wait for 10 minutes until the chips begin to smoke, then change the heat setting to Low.
- Pat the fish dry then place it on the grill and smoke. Try to keep the temperature inside the smoker between 65-70°C(150-160°F) until the thickest part of the fish registers 70°C(160°F). Cooking time takes around 30 minutes but could vary from smoker to smoker.
- Remove the salmon from the smoker and let it rest before diving in. It keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days.
ServingSize 1 serving, Calories 315 calories, SodiumContent 9172 mg, FatContent 13.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 2.7 g, CarbohydrateContent 14.4 g, ProteinContent 30.4 g, CholesterolContent 88 mg