PAKISTANI SPICY CHICKPEAS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|1 teaspoon cumin seeds|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|½ teaspoon chili powder|
|½ teaspoon lemon pepper|
|2 tomatoes, chopped|
|2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained|
|1 tablespoon lemon juice|
|1 onion, chopped|
- In a large pot over low heat, warm oil and cumin; heat until cumin turns a darker shade of brown.
- Add salt, chili powder and lemon and pepper seasoning; mix well. Stir in tomatoes; once the juice begins to thicken add in chickpeas and mix well.
- Add in lemon juice and mix well; add onions and stir until they become soft.
- Remove from heat and place into a serving bowl; serve immediately.
Calories 204.6 calories, CarbohydrateContent 30.3 g, FatContent 7.1 g, FiberContent 6.2 g, ProteinContent 6.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 0.9 g, SodiumContent 621.5 mg, SugarContent 2.5 g
PAKISTANI STYLE CHANAY KA PULAO (CHICKPEAS/GARBANZO BEANS PILAF …
Total time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 3/4 cup servings, 12 serving(s)
|3 cups basmati rice (soaked in water for at least 1/2 an hour)|
|1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (Safaid Chanay) or 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (Safaid Chanay)|
|1 cup oil|
|1 medium onion (sliced)|
|3 teaspoons cumin seeds (zeera)|
|1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (Lehsan Adrak)|
|3 teaspoons salt|
|2 teaspoons red chili powder|
|3 black cardamom pods (bari elaichi)|
|1 teaspoon clove (laung)|
|2 cinnamon sticks (Dalchini)|
|1 1/2 cups yogurt|
|3 teaspoons anise seed (saunf)|
|1 teaspoon garam masala powder|
|3 1/2 cups water|
- Heat oil in a pan & fry onions till they turn golden brown.
- Add cardamom pods (bari elaichi), cloves (laung), cinammon sticks (dalchini), cumin seeds (zeera) in the onions & stir for about 10 seconds. Then add ginger/garlic paste (lehsan adrak), 2 teaspoons salt and red chili powder & stir fry on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Next add yogurt & chickpeas/garbanzos & cook on medium high till the yogurt water dries up.
- Now add garam masala powder & anise seed (saunf) powder & cover & cook for 2 minutes on medium low heat. (Its THESE two ingredients which make this pulao very different then the usual pulaos you might have eaten so far.
- Finally add the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, rice & the water & cook it uncovered on high heat for 7 minutes or till the water dries up.
- Cover the pan & close the lid tightly making sure no steam passes out & cook on low heat for 15 minutes or till the rice is done.
- Serve it your favorite chutney or raita.
- Although my family likes raita with this pulao I love it with this http://www.recipezaar.com/276267 Chutney.
Calories 401.8, FatContent 21.2, SaturatedFatContent 3.3, CholesterolContent 4, SodiumContent 715.9, CarbohydrateContent 46.9, FiberContent 3.7, SugarContent 2.3, ProteinContent 6.8