CHEDDAR CHEESE SCONES RECIPE – FOOD.COM
|2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour|
|2 tablespoons granulated sugar|
|2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder|
|1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 cup cold butter, cubed|
|1 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|1 egg, lightly beaten|
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Add the buttermilk all at once, stirring with a fork to make a soft, sticky dough.
- With lightly floured hands, press the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead gently 10 times.
- Pat out the dough into a 3/4-inch thick round.
- Using a 2-1/2-inch floured cutter, cut out rounds.
- Place on a ungreased baking sheet.
- Gather up the scraps and repat dough once; cut out more rounds.
- Brush the tops of the scones with egg.
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Calories 213.9, FatContent 11.6, SaturatedFatContent 7.1, CholesterolContent 46.5, SodiumContent 378.8, CarbohydrateContent 21.4, FiberContent 0.6, SugarContent 3.2, ProteinContent 6