CHICKEN TAGINE WITH OLIVES AND PRESERVED LEMONS RECIPE – NYT …
Provided by: Florence Fabricant
Total time: 1 hours
Yield: 4 servings
|5 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, pulverized|
|1/2 teaspoon ground ginger|
|1 teaspoon sweet paprika|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2 teaspoon turmeric|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1 chicken, cut in 8 to 10 pieces|
|2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|3 medium onions, sliced thin|
|1 cinnamon stick|
|8 calamata olives, pitted and halved|
|8 cracked green olives, pitted and halved|
|1 large or 3 small preserved lemons (sold in specialty food shops)|
|1 cup chicken stock|
|Juice of 1/2 lemon|
|1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley|
- Mix garlic, saffron, ginger, paprika, cumin and turmeric together. If not using kosher chicken, add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add pepper to taste. Rub chicken with mixture, cover, refrigerate and marinate 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add chicken, and brown on all sides. Remove to platter. Add onions to skillet, and cook over medium-low heat about 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to tagine, if you are using one, or leave in skillet. Add cinnamon stick.
- Put chicken on onions. Scatter with olives. Quarter the lemons, remove pulp and cut skin in strips. Scatter over chicken. Mix stock and lemon juice. Pour over chicken.
- Cover tagine or skillet. Place over low heat, and cook about 30 minutes, until chicken is done. Scatter parsley on top, and serve.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 628, UnsaturatedFatContent 29 grams, CarbohydrateContent 12 grams, FatContent 44 grams, FiberContent 3 grams, ProteinContent 46 grams, SaturatedFatContent 11 grams, SodiumContent 874 milligrams, SugarContent 3 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
EASY CHICKEN TAGINE RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Good Food team
Categories: Dinner, Main course, Supper
Total time: 50 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
|2 tbsp olive oil|
|8 skinless boneless chicken thighs, halved if large|
|1 onion, chopped|
|2 tsp grated fresh root ginger|
|pinch saffron or tumeric|
|1 tbsp honey|
|400g carrot, cut into sticks|
|small bunch parsley, roughly chopped|
|lemon wedges, to serve|
- Heat the oil in a large, wide pan with a lid, add the chicken, then fry quickly until lightly coloured. Add the onion and ginger, then fry for a further 2 mins.
- Add 150ml water, the saffron, honey and carrots, season, then stir well. Bring to the boil, cover tightly, then simmer for 30 mins until the chicken is tender. Uncover and increase the heat for about 5 mins to reduce the sauce a little. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Calories 304 calories, FatContent 11 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 3 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 14 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 12 grams sugar, FiberContent 3 grams fiber, ProteinContent 39 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.48 milligram of sodium
QUICK TAGINE-STYLE CHICKEN RECIPE | RACHAEL RAY | FOOD NETWORK
Provided by: Rachael Ray : Food Network
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 12 minutes
Cook time: 23 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan|
|4 cloves garlic, smashed beneath the flat of your knife with the heel of your hand, discard skins|
|1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large bite-size pieces|
|1 1/2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Seasoning by McCormick) or coarse salt and coarse pepper|
|2 medium or 1 large yellow skinned onion, quartered and sliced|
|10 pitted prunes, coarsely chopped|
|1-ounce box or 1/4 cup golden raisins|
|2 cups good quality, low sodium chicken stock, available in paper containers on soup aisle|
|1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin|
|1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika, eyeball it|
|1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, eyeball it|
|1/2 teaspoon tumeric, eyeball it|
|1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, a couple pinches|
|1 1/2 cups chicken stock|
|1 1/2 cups couscous|
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it|
|2 scallions, finely chopped|
|Chopped cilantro leaves or flat-leaf parsley|
|Finely chopped scallions|
|Mango chutney, any variety and brand — available on the condiment or International food aisles|
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a slow stream, and add smashed garlic. Season the chicken with seasoning blend. Scatter chicken around the pan in an even layer. Cook chicken pieces 2 minutes on each side to brown, then add the onions, prunes, raisins and stock. Mix spices in a small dish and scatter over the pot. Cover and reduce to moderate heat. Cook 7 or 8 minutes, remove the lid and stir.
- To prepare the couscous, bring chicken stock to a boil. Add couscous, extra-virgin olive oil and scallions and remove the couscous from the stove immediately. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Uncover chicken and cook another 2 to 3 minutes to thicken slightly. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve chicken on a bed of couscous. Garnish with chopped cilantro and scallions. Serve with chutney.